Merci pour votre intérêt! (Voir cette page en français)
Welcome to the website for the community-based research project “The Experiences of Social Exclusion and Inclusion Among People Aging with Neurodiversity and Their Families” (2020-2024). This research was funded by the Fonds de recherche du Québec - Société et culture with the financial support of the Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Habitation (MAMH), the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI) and the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux (MSSS) as part of the program Actions concertées. Our research project explores experiences of social exclusion and inclusion among neurodiverse older adults and their family caregivers in Montreal and Quebec City. Our goal is to collect people's stories about their experiences of growing older, their housing realities and needs, and their social networks and supports. We will also speak with service providers to gain their perspectives on the realities and challenges facing older adults living with neurodiversity and their aging family caregivers.
Our objectives are to:
1. Collect and share the life stories and experiences of older adults and their families in a way which honours their diverse experiences and realities;
2. Develop recommendations that are grounded in people's experiences and perspectives;
3. Contribute to the development of inclusive policy and practice across sectors;
4. Advocate for programs and policies that better address the realities of, challenges facing, and agency enacted by neurodiverse older people and their family caregivers.
On our website you will find information about our project and the findings that emerge from our discussions with older people living with neurodiversity (50+ years old), their family caregivers (65+ years old), and the service providers who work with them. This information will take the form of infographics, policy and practice briefs, short videos and publications. The website will evolve as we undertake our work so please stay in touch with us!
Short Videos and Discussions
In this Capsule CREGÉS COVID-19, Mélanie Couture, PhD, CREGÉS researcher, is in conversation with Shari Brotman, Tamara Sussman, Zelda Freitas et Daniel Dickson, CREGÉS researchers and members of the research team, about their article, The Crisis Facing Older People Living with Neurodiversity and their Aging Carers: A Social Work Perspective. The authors discuss the impact from the pandemic on older neurodiverse people and their aging carers.
- Brotman, S, Sussman T, Pacheco L, Dickson D, Lach L, Raymond É, Deshaies MH, Freitas Z, Milot É. (2021). The Crisis Facing Older People Living with Neurodiversity and Their Aging Family Carers: A Social Work Perspective. Journal of Gerontological Social Work.
Dickson, Daniel, & Brotman, Shari. (2022). Enacting Power at the Decision-Making Table: Foregrounding the Voices of People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities in the Policy Process through Engagement with Families in Relational Self-Advocacy. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 27(2). https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.7433552